Subscribe to my Prayer Updates

Via MailChimp!

* indicates required

Contentment… or not


It’s funny. Anytime I have an idea for a blog post or something happens that I want to share, I feel the story pressing against me until I am able to type it out and post it. This story has been pressing into me to be shared for over a week now and I just can’t wait to get it down in print!

About a month ago, a couple friends and I started meeting together for a bible study once a week. We are working our way through a book called, “Women of God” by Cindy Bunch. Each week we read a topical lesson with a corresponding bible passage. It’s good and gets us talking about ways we can grow, and encourage each other.

Two weeks ago, our topic was contentment and the Bible passage was Philippians 4:10-20. Now Philippians 4 is a chapter I know well, and I can’t say that about many passages. But Philippians 4 is the chapter with, “Don’t worry about anything…Then you will experience God’s peace that surpasses knowledge, ….” and “For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.”

However, that night, and for many days afterwards, God gave me a new understanding into this passage, different from what I had seen before. I have not learned contentment; it is definitely an area of my life in which God is hard at work. In the passage, Paul is thanking the Philippian church for their care, concern, and support. He shares with them that he has lived it all, and is able to be content because he knows his strength is in Christ alone. His trust is in Christ alone.

I am the opposite of Paul. I am not content, nor have I ever lived through times of an empty stomach or imprisonment. I don’t trust in Christ alone, as much as I desire to do so. I don’t act as through my strength comes from Christ alone; too often I’m acting in my own strength.

But God is teaching me. He is breaking my walls down and showing me that He is all I need, and will provide all I need. Those of you who received my end of the year support letter know that I was in need of some extra financial support. Some extra support came in, and I am SO very thankful for that providence! It wasn’t nearly as much as I asked for. BUT! I’ve never gone hungry. Every month, I have exactly what I need. Rent is paid. Food is purchased. My motorbike is filled with gas. I’ve been sick, and the doctor’s bill is paid. Every month, I have exactly what I need for that month. God takes amazing care of me; always showing me that to worry and stress over how much money I have is worthless in His eyes. Yes, I need to be a wise steward of what He has blessed me with, but my trust should be in Him.
For Paul, God provided the Philippian church, the only church to financially support Paul. For me, God has provided you. I don’t have many people who financially support me, but those who do are so faithful in their giving. Those who pray and follow this blog, are so faithful in their prayers. To repeat Paul’s words, “You were the only ones who gave me financial help when I first [came to Thailand]. No other church did this. Even when I was [here], you sent help more than once. (Phil. 4:15-16)” This passage pointed me back to you. This passage opened my eyes to God’s faithfulness through you, how trustworthy He is to provide all I need, and how overwhelmingly worthy He is of my praise.
To end, I would once again like to quote Paul: “I don’t say this because I want a gift from you. Rather, I want you to receive a reward for your kindness. At the moment I have all I need—and more! I am generously supplied with the gifts you sent me… They are a sweet-smelling sacrifice that is acceptable and pleasing to God. And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus. Now all glory to God our Father forever and ever! Amen. (Phil. 4:17-20)”
I pray that God would bless you and keep you. May His face smile on you and be gracious to you. May He show you his favor and give you His peace. Love you friends!