Subscribe to my Prayer Updates

Via MailChimp!

* indicates required

September Sicknesses and Growth!

One month into school and I've been sick twice already. Once with the flu, and once with a cold, that turned into bronchitis. I had about 3 days respite between the two diseases. Unfortunately, its been a very unhealthy start to the year school wide. But God has used the down time of illness profitably in my life! And even since writing this first little bit, I got stomach flu that knocked me out for another 5 days!

When I was down and out with the flu, my teaching partner (and good friend!/roommate!) Kosharah took over my class the day and a half that I missed. That morning as I was laying in bed unable to move, because moving caused dizziness and exhaustion, I began reading my daily devotional. I just finished the Beth Moore study, A Heart Like His, which is all about King David's life. I loved it! Highly recommend it for anyone looking for a devotional. It gives great insight into David's life from when he was first anointed by Samuel to his death. You read a chapter or so a day from either of the Samuels or Chronicles, along with a chapter of Beth's description, background, and application each day.

And we're back after a commercial for Beth Moore! I'm still battling the cold so you'll have to forgive my writing as I'm sure its not making much sense through the brain fog.

Anyways, that particular morning I was lying in bed reading about the end(ish) of David's life. Four of Goliath's relatives came to battle and after fighting the first one, David was exhausted. God raised up three other men of courage to take on the remaining three.

I was feeling like I had dumped a large burden on Kosharah who had her own class to take care of, as well as generally not feeling well. As I read, what God had to tell me came calling loud and clear from the scripture. I need to be dependent on God and its ok to be dependent on others. At that point, I was sick and no use to my students. I needed to rest in God's arms, knowing and trusting that He had it handled, that He had raised up a hero in Kosharah and many others who stepped up to help her teach both 2nd grade classes.

Then again, on Wednesday of last week, I suddenly went down with the stomach flu in the middle of the school day! A friend had to drive me home, and Kosharah once again took over 2nd grade. I was unable to get out of bed for the next couple days, because whenever I stood up, I became nauseous and dizzy. So I stayed in bed and slept, all day long. And once again, God used a different Beth Moore Study (this one's called Breaking Free - also super great so far!) to remind me of what is important. He is teaching me about rest and peace in the midst of troubles. While being sick with flus and colds is hardly what I would call a trial in the grander scheme of things, but He used them to teach me to rest in Him, be dependent on Him and Him alone, and if I truly do that, I will have His peace that surpasses all understanding.

In this time of sickness and forced bed rest, I have really connected with God in a way I've been looking to for a long time. He is my friend, my lover. I have grown to cherish the time I spend with just Him, and Him alone. I've started becoming anxious for that time with Him in a way I feel like I never have before. Before its been about having disciplined quiet time. But who is disciplined in spending time with a friend? That sounds so… obligatory.. and forced. But in the last couple weeks, its not an obligation, its a desire. Its meeting and talking to a friend. Sharing my burdens and feeling understood, despite the words I use to share them (that always been a struggle for me.) He listens, hears, and answers back with scripture and peace. As much as I would love to know why I've come back to Thailand just to be sick all the time (yes, another cold is brewing now as I type), I don't need to know because God will use it to teach me, to draw me to Himself. I'm so thankful for that, despite the nastiness I had to live through.

Prayer Requests:

Please pray for the physical health of the Second grade students, Kosharah, and myself. I really am sick of being sick.

If I may be so bold, please pray for my relationship with Christ. I'm so thankful for how connected I feel to Him right now. But I want it to keep growing! I don't want to get complacent or prideful in thinking I must be doing something right. Please pray that God will keep my heart humble and thankful for all the ways He teaches and loves on me. Pray I will stay rooted and grounded in His word and His love!

Love and hugs to you all
Ree