Subscribe to my Prayer Updates

Via MailChimp!

* indicates required

Here goes… Coming "Home"


The words of this post have evaded me. And I believe I’ve been avoided it as well. I don’t know how to say it. And to say it makes it seem more real. Honestly, the only reason I am writing it is because my dear friend is going through the same thing and she was courageous in writing it in her blog. So here goes.

I don’t know how I’m going to do this. I don’t know how I’m going to deal with coming “home.” I’m excited and anxious and nervous and happy. But I’m leaving home to return home. This place, this “foreign land” is now my home, my new normal. Its normal to not be able to read the signs on the streets, only understand a few words in conversation I walk by, to see motorbikes driving by overloaded with people, umbrellas, bicycles, etc. It’s normal to eat good food from a rickety cart off the side of the dirty street for a little over a $1. It’s normal for strangers on the street to smile or to be yelled at in broken English to buy this knickknack or that for “Cheap Cheap for you!” It’s normal for random places to not be open during “regular business hours” because the owner simply didn’t feel like working that day. It’s normal to have a gecko living in my closet, kitchen, classroom, and bathroom and like it because they eat the bugs and mosquitoes.

I live in a decent sized city, not in a remote village. In fact, in many ways it is similar to Thousand Oaks. But living life here is so vastly, inexplicably different than life in America. And I don’t know how I’m going to transition back to life there for the summer. Things that wouldn’t normally make me nervous now do. Simple things like: What side of the car do I get on? Or What side of the road do I drive on? And you want me to pay how much for lunch?! (Funny enough, these are some questions I asked before I moved here.)

Or more serious things like: How will I share my story of this year, the joys and the pains, to people who were like family to me before I left, who I’ve barely spoken to here? My dear friend put it this way: “I haven't talked to most of the people there for ten months, even people that I consider like family to me.  And I know that's my fault, but sometimes it was just too hard.  I'd miss them too much, so it was easier just to live here and be here.” How can I live up to the expectations (I admit most those expectations I project onto those people) I feel on me to be the same girl who left 10 months?

Answer is: I don’t know. Again I can’t say it any better than my friend: “It will also be hard.  As I try to wrap my mind around coming back "home", it is full of contradictions.  This time will be refreshing, but exhausting.  It will be difficult, but beautiful.  I will dearly miss everyone here, but I will be with the people I have dearly missed for ten months.  Many people may think I'd be so happy to come "home", and I truly am in many ways.  But I will also be leaving "home" and that will be hard and sad.” I do know that my God is good and He is my constant source of stability.  He will never leave me or forsake me, whether I’m on this side of the world or that.